Sunday, October 6, 2013

Nursing Challenges and 12 Tips to Overcome Them

As you might expect, Madeline has been the center of my world for the past week, but nursing in particular has been my main goal and focus.

I remember from nursing Anna Claire how important it was to nurse early and often those first few days and weeks.

Building up a milk supply is a challenge for any mom, and the commitment, time investment, and effort required of moms can be overwhelming in the best of circumstances.

I face challenges with nursing that most don't have to concern themselves with: I have inverted nipples. This is difficult for both mom and baby because latching on is difficult. And without the baby latching on to stimulate milk production, your supply suffers.

The good news is, I've been down this road before and have lots of tools in my toolbox to help correct for this setback. I thought it might be helpful to others who face the same challenge for me to write a blog post that sums up the top 12 tools and tips I use to combat inverted nipples. I spent most of my life embarrassed by this abnormality, but have come to realize it really is quite common and feel so blessed that I am able to care for my child in spite of it.

1.  Determination and stick-to-it-iveness. These two are paramount. Nursing has to be critically important to you, especially if you have complications producing and/or latching. My determination comes from knowing I'm providing my baby with nature's perfect food. I know I'm also passing along my immunities to her through nursing. Anna Claire never got sick once in the 14 months I nursed her. It was month 15 before she ever fell ill.

2. Skin on skin, if possible, after birth, then room with your baby. Research indicates that nursing immediately after birth helps kick start the mother's milk supply. I was able to do this with Anna Claire, but not Madeline. Madeline ended up being a c-section, which I did not want, but her heart rate kept dropping each time I had a contraction after being induced. So with her, I just requested that they bring her to me as quickly as possible so I could nurse. Afterward, I asked that the baby room with us rather than being kept in the nursery. They are reluctant to do this, but will comply if you ask them.

3.  Soft Shells for Inverted Nipples. The most important one that I can't live without are my Medela SoftShells for Inverted Nipples. These do exactly what they promise, they pull the nipple out, giving baby something to latch onto. I seriously would love to meet whoever invented these and give them a huge hug and a thank you. I have no idea what women did before these.

4.  Soft Shells for Sore Nipples. Using the Soft Shells mentioned in number 1 nonstop will likely result in sore nipples that also leak. That's why I like to alternate between the ones for inverted and the Medela Soft Shells for Sore Nipples.

 5.  Nipple shields. I giggled when the lactation nurse mentioned them, but  nipple shields are no joke. These were a huge blessing the first few days until the Shells had time to do their work. Madeline was not able to latch at all on her own, but using the shield gave her something to latch onto and she was able to nurse successfully. The lactation consultant warned not to use these continuously and that the baby isn't able to draw milk from all of the milk ducts when they use the shield. It was, like I said, a temporary solution to get us started.

6.  Drink your water. Just as it was important to drink 8 glasses a day when the baby was in utero to keep amniotic fluid at a healthy level, it's equally important to drink those 8 glasses while nursing to keep up your supply.

7. Fenugreek. I took Fenugreek as a supplement to increase my milk supply with Anna Claire, and it worked like a charm. There are many other herbs and supplements that you can take to achieve this goal, but Fenugreek tops the list. It also adds a maple syrup flavor to your milk which babies like. You  can find Fenugreek at GNC or other vitamin/supplement stores.

8. Increase milk supply through your diet. I've researched foods that increase milk supply and then we buy and eat those things! Here are a few links:
 http://www.mobimotherhood.org/mm/article-diet.aspx
 http://www.justmommies.com/babies/top-ten-lactogenic-foods-foods-that-improve-your-milk-supply

9. Pump between feeding sessions. When I feel frustrated and worry my supply is less than what I need, I follow nursing sessions up with a few minutes of pumping. This send a signal to your body to produce more. This milk can be used at room temp within 4 hours, or if frozen, it will keep for months. Simply place baggie of frozen milk in warm water to thaw.

10.  Resist the urge to supplement. Supplementing will likely result in a decrease of your milk supply, and puts your baby at risk of getting sick. Your baby is only fully protected by your immunities if you breastfeed exclusively.

11. Lanisoh LanolinLansinoh Lanolin is a must have. At some point, your bound to be sore from nursing, and this is the best thing to use to treat, or you can do what I do, and use daily to prevent soreness.

12. Nurse on all 4 sides. What in the world do I mean by "4 sides?" You only have two breasts! My lactation consultant explained that there are really two main ways to hold and latch a baby, football hold and cradle hold, and you should alternate between each of these on each breast. Hence, 4 sides. The reason this is so important is to ensure you access all the milk ducts. Accessing all of the ducts means an increase in your milk supply, and lowers the likelihood you will have blocked ducts which can be painful.

I use all 12 of these tools and tips daily. It was a bit like riding a bike with Madeline, it all came back to me, but it is all very draining, tiring, and at times frustrating.

Madeline is only one week old, and I have already endured several sleepless nights and shed many tears because she couldn't latch or because I wasn't producing.

The past two days have been perfect, with her latching and nursing like a champ and an ample supply with some milk even left over. I am hoping this is a sign I'm where I need to be and that better times are ahead.

I am no expert, but I do recommend these 12 to anyone determined to nurse their child, especially if you have endured frustration and additional challenges as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment