Saturday, September 28, 2013

Madeline's Birth

Larry and I arrived at the hospital at 5:30, as scheduled.

With Anna Claire, it took an hour or so for them to get to us, I remember there was a full moon...the maternity floor was packed that day. (There is a correlation between full moons and moms going into labor. True story).

But with today being a Saturday, and the moon in our favor, I was donning a hospital gown, hooked up to a baby monitor, blood pressure cuff and line of pitocin within the first half hour.

Contractions came on fast. Very painful, partly due to round ligament pain. They did not let up at all. I would finally make it through one, then here would come another.

Madeline did not tolerate the pitocin at all. It really lowered her heart rate. So they turned down the pitocin, repositioned me, and put an oxygen mask on me until her heart rate came back up.

Once it was back to a normal rate, they restarted the pitocin, and here we go again. The process of turning down the pitocin, repositioning me and wearing the oxygen mask would repeat again. I heard one nurse say to the other, "Should I get everything just in case?"

"Just in case what?" I wondered. What did she mean by that??

We repeated this process several more times, until it occurred to me it had been a minute or so since we had heart her heartbeat. I looked at the doctor and nurse's faces and they looked as worried as I was. It was about that time that Dr. Johnston walked over and explained the possibility of a C-section and making sure I knew what that would entail.

I began crying, thinking this wasn't the plan we had discussed. I felt cheated from having the chance to try and deliver her naturally. I couldn't hear Madeline's heart! Was she ok? Would we make it to the OR in time?

The next half hour was a whirlwind, but I can't tell you how impressed I was watching how quick these ladies worked to get me unhooked from monitors and moved into the OR.

The anesthesiologist came back in and increased my epidural, giving me something else to help numbing as well.

When we arrived in the operating room, I remember thinking how bright it was and thinking how weird it was to feel so groggy knowing my baby was coming into the world in a matter of minutes. Tears continued to flow. I was scared. My body wanted to fall sound asleep, right at that moment, but my heart and my mind wanted and needed to stay awake. I didn't want to miss a thing. It was so hard to fight that sleep urge during the hour that followed.

I watched as everyone worked around me. They prepped me for surgery. I saw Larry come in and put on his scrubs. This is happening too fast. I haven't had time to prepare for this mentally.

They poked me with a needle on my shoulder. OUCH! Then the poked me all over my lower half. I felt nothing. I was ready for surgery. 

All of a sudden, they were putting up the paper divider so we didn't have to see all the action. Then within minutes I hear Dr. Johnston say you're going to feel lots of pressure. You shouldn't feel any pain, just pressure. I didn't realize this pressure was the baby coming out already. Unbelievable how fast they were working.

Then, before we knew it, we could hear the baby crying. Larry and I both started bawling like babies. We were both thinking the same thing: SHE'S OK!! WE HAVE A BABY!

Dr. Johnston holding up our sweet girl for her very first picture.

Madeline Elizabeth Averitt
7 lbs. 6.6 oz.
Born at 3:20 pm, September 28, 2013 (My Momma's birthday!)
I have an almost identical picture of Anna Claire. Can't wait to find it and compare. They look so much alike!

Larry couldn't get up for a couple of minutes he was so emotional, but he was able to get up and go see her. They brought her over shortly after for me to see her. So beautiful. Perfect. I felt so much love well up inside when I saw her.

First pic of the 3 of us. That little white bundle is Madeline.

There's my girl! So precious.

Of course, they took her away shortly after, but I was at peace because my baby was thriving. Larry was able to travel with her for a bit and get some pictures.

My mind began reeling. I started thinking of all of the advantages and disadvantages of having a C-section delivery: Having a c-section would mean 8 weeks of maternity leave for me, whereas I would have just 6 with a natural birth. No episiotomy. That was no fun, and a lot to care for after having Anna Claire. I have an incision that's going to be pretty sore though. I'll be in the hospital for a longer stay. How much more will this cost us? How much more is a c-section versus vaginal birth? 

These were just some of my thoughts in back in my delivery room as a lay and wait for my baby so I can nurse her for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment